Privacy TLDR; This is a blog so there isn’t much going on in terms of data collection here but there are a few things you need to be aware of.
- Comments – if you leave a comment it will be stored in the blog’s database (fields: name, email, url, comment). If I approve it, it will be made public. Contact me if you want a comment removed.
- Third parties – the site uses Google Analytics, Google AdSense and the occasional GitHub, YouTube or Vimeo embed.
- Feel free to visit the site with ad blocker or other privacy plugins enabled in your browser if you like! I don’t do anything to detect said plugins but I can’t guarantee the site will work for you in that case.
- I’ve made an effort to set the Google privacy settings I have access to as high as possible in terms of protecting your privacy (IPs anonymized, demographics disabled). Google changes the available settings from time to time so I don’t make any promises here.
- The company that hosts this website is A2Hosting. Here is what they say about privacy and GDPR compliance. When I take backups they are encrypted.
Like most website operators, LaurenceGellert.com collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. LaurenceGellert.com’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how LaurenceGellert.com’s visitors use its website. From time to time, LaurenceGellert.com may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
LaurenceGellert.com also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. LaurenceGellert.com does not use IP addresses to identify its visitors, however, and does not disclose such information, other than under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information, as described below.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to LaurenceGellert.com choose to interact with LaurenceGellert.com in ways that require LaurenceGellert.com to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that LaurenceGellert.com gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who use our contact form to provide a username and email address.
In each case, LaurenceGellert.com collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with LaurenceGellert.com. LaurenceGellert.com does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described below. And visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities, like purchasing a WordCamp ticket.
All of the information that is collected on LaurenceGellert.com will be handled in accordance with GDPR legislation.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
LaurenceGellert.com discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of project administrators, employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on LaurenceGellert.com’s behalf or to provide services available through LaurenceGellert.com, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using LaurenceGellert.com, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
LaurenceGellert.com will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to project administrators, employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations, as described above, LaurenceGellert.com discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only when required to do so by law, if you give permission to have your information shared, or when LaurenceGellert.com believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of LaurenceGellert.com, third parties, or the public at large.
If you are a registered user of a LaurenceGellert.com website and have supplied your email address, LaurenceGellert.com may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with LaurenceGellert.com and our products. We primarily use our blog to communicate this type of information, so we expect to keep this type of email to a minimum.
If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. LaurenceGellert.com takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
Use of personal information
We use the information you provide to register for an account, attend our events, receive newsletters, use certain other services, or participate in the WordPress open source project in any other way.
We will not sell or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
We would like to send you email marketing communication which may be of interest to you from time to time. If you have consented to marketing, you may opt out later.
You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you for marketing purposes. If you no longer wish to be contacted for marketing purposes, please click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
Legal grounds for processing personal information
We rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information and services to you;
- explicit consent that you have given;
- legal obligations.
Access to data
You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all your personal information, please follow the instructions at the end of this policy.
LaurenceGellert.com user accounts
N/A – LaurenceGellert.com does not allow users to signup or register for an account.
To signup for our newsletter the only thing we collect is your email address. Your email is then is stored in a database on our server. When we send you emails that is done through Amazon Web Services, Simple Email Service (AWS SES). See the following link for more information on AWS and GDRP.
You may unsubscribe from our newsletter at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our newsletter publications, or by contacting us.
If you would like to request the deletion of your email from our newsletter database please contact us.
Rights in relation to your information
You may have certain rights under data protection law in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you may have a right to:
- request a copy of personal information we hold about you;
- ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or independently correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete;
- ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you from live systems, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information (for information on deletion from archives, see the “Retention of personal information” section);
object to our processing of your personal information; and/or
- withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing).
If you would like to exercise these rights or understand if these rights apply to you, please follow the instructions at the end of this Privacy statement.
Third Party Links
LaurenceGellert.com may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to its websites. For instance, LaurenceGellert.com may reveal how many times a particular page was viewed or report on which pages are the most popular, based on data gathered by our web analytics tools. However, LaurenceGellert.com does not disclose personally-identifying information other than as described in this policy.
Additionally, information about how you use our website is collected automatically using “cookies”. Cookies are small pieces of data, stored in text files, that are stored on your computer or other device when websites are loaded in a browser. They are widely used to ‘remember’ you and your preferences, either for a single visit (through a ‘session cookie’) or for multiple repeat visits (using a ‘persistent cookie’). They ensure a consistent and efficient experience for visitors, and perform essential functions such as allowing users to register and remain logged in. Cookies may be set by the site that you are visiting (known as ‘first party cookies’), or by third parties, such as those who serve content or provide advertising or analytics services on the website (‘third party cookies’).
General types of cookies:
Strictly Necessary: These are the cookies that are essential for our website to perform basic functions. These include those required to allow registered users to authenticate and perform account related functions.
Functionality: These cookies are used to store preferences set by users such as account name, language, and location.
Performance: Performance cookies collect information on how users interact with our website, including what pages are visited most, as well as other analytical data. These details are only used to improve how the website functions.
Tracking: These are set by trusted third party networks (e.g. Google Analytics) to track details such as the number of unique visitors, and pageviews to help improve the user experience.
Third Party/Embedded Content: Our website makes use of different third party applications and services to enhance the experience of website visitors. These include social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter (through the use of sharing buttons), or embedded content from AdSense, YouTube and Vimeo. As a result, cookies may be set by these third parties, and used by them to track your online activity. We have no direct control over the information that is collected by these cookies.
Specific uses of cookies at our site:
- WordPress, the blogging platform that powers LaurenceGellert.com sets cookies for its own functionality to serve pages.
- Performance and Tracking:
- Google Analytics – for web stats collection. NOTE: In our account’s Google control panel IP address collection is disabled and we have restricted collecting personal settings as much as possible.
- Third Party/Embedded Content
- Google AdSense – for light advertisements at the top of blog pages. NOTE: In our account’s Google control panel we have restricted collecting personal information as much as possible.
- YouTube / Vimeo video embeds – for showing videos.
Some specific opt-out programs are available here:
Google Analytics – https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout