Hi there, this is the website of Laurence Gellert, a software developer living in Portland, Oregon USA.I am currently working as a freelance software developer.
See my LinkedIn profile for more details about my skills and experience.
Twitter is for fun where I share software development tips, news, and humor - @laurencegellert.
Are you a new developer or looking to learn?
Wiser Learning is a site I created to scratch my own learning 'itch' in the world of software. It keeps me motivated to learn with tools for planning and recording learning activities. It also helps me understand how my own knowledge fits together and where I need to improve (check out the Learning Graphs).
The good news is, it is free for learners! I'd love for you to try it out and hear your feedback.
My blog also has some resources for aspiring developers:
- My Answer To: I want to learn programming, should I attend a code school?
- Please see my category full of posts for new developers.
- Signup for my newsletter.
LATEST POSTS:August 19, 2017 - How to require SSL when connecting to MySQL on AWS RDS
July 5, 2017 - DBAs are Out of Style and Now There’s a Hole In Your Database
May 1, 2017 - Tips for Getting into Software Development Heaven
April 2, 2017 - Some Tips on Improving your Social Skills (for Software Devs)
February 26, 2017 - Add Facebook Open Graph (OG) meta tags to your WordPress site with one function
January 22, 2017 - How to Structure Ongoing Learning in the Software Field
December 11, 2016 - Ping your sitemap to Google and Bing with a bash script
Top Posts by Traffic:
- What is a Full Stack developer?
- Pros and Cons of RDS vs EC2 for MySQL with AWS
- Example Django Model Count and Group By Query
Posts I wish Google would rank higher because I enjoy them:
- Design your own GitHub activity graph, mine is a DNA spiral!
- On Pluggers, Rockstars, Ninjas, and other fun labels for developers – which are you?
- Why do software engineers always complicate things???